Selling Your Home: Top 10 Tips for Preparing Your Home For Sale
Selling a home requires a little sweat equity. Whether you’re choosing to sell with an agent, or For Sale By Owner, the preparation remains the same. Use these tips to tidy up your home and wow potential buyers.
1. Remove Clutter. Eliminate all non-essential items from the home to increase your home’s appeal. Remove visible knickknacks; such as cords, remotes, coasters, etc. Either re-arrange or store furniture to increase open space in the home.
2. De-personalize. Personal photos can distract potential buyers from visualizing what their life will look like. Be sure to remove all personal photos, posters, and decor prior to showing your home.
3. Make repairs, big and small. To sell at top dollar, your home should be in the best condition possible. Take care of major defects like broken windows or a leaky roof that could discourage buyers. Fix all minor items like broken doors, ceiling fans, knobs, hinges, etc.
4. Improve landscaping. First impressions are crucial and curb appeal is what your buyer will notice first. Mow the lawn, prune the bushes, weed the garden and plant blooming flowers. In the winter be sure to have the snow removed.
5. Clean the exterior. A sloppy exterior will distract buyers from positively viewing the interior of the home. Be sure to clean the gutters, scrub the windows and pressure wash your home’s siding and driveway.
6. Organize closets and drawers. Messy closets may give the appearance that your home doesn’t have enough storage space. Remove all non-essential clothing in order to open up closet space. Once clothing is minimized, organize your closet space by stacking and folding the remaining items neatly.
7. Update fixtures. A bright home is welcoming to buyers so update light fixtures to liven up a home. If outdated, be sure to update bath, kitchen and door fixtures.
8. Mute the color. Clean and paint all rooms, as needed, using white or light pastels to make rooms look larger.
9. Make your home shine. Clean, clean, clean. Wash from the ceiling fans to the floorboards. Give extra attention to the kitchen and bathrooms. Clean all windows and steam-clean the carpets.
10. Picture Perfect. Only take photos of your home after you’ve completed the steps above. Take photos when your home has the most natural light. Open curtains and turn on all lights.
It’s important to take the time to adequately prepare your home for sale. It will involve some additional time and work, but your effort will pay off in big ways. By taking these extra measures, your home is sure to stand out with home buyers.
fsboHandshake currently operates in 8 states: Arizona, Idaho, New Mexico, Nevada, Montana, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming.